Wednesday 1 July 2009

Enter In...


Yesterday I was challenged to make the 2nd half of 2009 count - to be intentional about using all that God has blessed us with in order to leave a remarkable legacy. So here I am typing some thoughts for the start of the 2nd half of the year ...

I have my son Josh on my lap at the moment - he is not well (He has broncitis), but he is desperately wanting to type something on the computer, so here are the thoughts of a 15 month old... "jjjjjdjjjjjjjjjfjfjfjfjjfffffffffff." Wow, was that deep or what? Did you notice how many "j's" were in his profound statement. Freud would have something deep to say about that.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is that God continually "stands at the door and knocks" (Revelation 3:20) - he does this because he wants to enjoy fellowship with us on a daily basis. This verse is often used in the context of 'Salvation' and I have no problems with that, however, I feel that there are many times after my moment of conversion, where I have chosen to close the door on God. I have invited Him in and things have gone well, but suddenly I have become self-centred, proud, insecure (or whatever) and then have subtly asked him to leave and then I have closed the door.

This may not make good theological sense, but I am sure you understand what I mean. In order for me to make anything meaningful happen in my life I need to work in partnership with Jesus - so that means I have to invite him into my life, my plans and my family. He will not come barging in otherwise.

As if to bring this more clearly across to me, the book I am reading at the moment (John Eldredge - Waking the Dead) has a quote in it that speaks of a similar thing.
"Let us not stay at the door, for the time is urgent. Let us enter!" - Gandalf (Return of the King)

Come let us enter into the 2nd half of 2009, knowing that God wants to journey with us. Let's invite the 'friend of sinners' to be our Guide.

Grace to you,
D3LM3

No comments: