Thursday 23 July 2009

Faith for Fish


You may remember that we had to bribe my boys to be 'good' at Kim's brothers wedding two weeks ago?! Their reward was a 'Fish Tank' and boy has this been an interesting journey. Aquarium's and small fish are not an easy hobby, especially when we are trying to curb the enthusiasm of our sons.

Anyway, the tank was set up and the first 4 fish survived like champions - but that was until the new fish arrived on Monday. Sadly, 3 of the new guys died in the first 48 hours, which led to many tears and mass funerals. My boys wanted to take the fish back to the shop as they thought that the fish would be safer there. Aish, what do you do?! Well, I'll tell what we had to do - Last night the boys made Kim say a loooooong Prayer for the protection of the little fish, asking God to keep them alive until this morning. Well, as you can imagine this is huge pressure on the big guy (God) and on us. We were sneaking into their room last night, shining the torch into the tank just to make sure that non of the fish were looking a little wobbly. If they had been we would have had to have done a quick 'mouth to mouth' to make sure that all was in order this morning. (I was also ready to net out the dead fish before the boys woke up - sneaky, I know).

Anyway, thankfully God held true to his word and the fish survived the night. The boys went to school happy and Kim and I breathed a huge sigh of relief. All that remains is for us to check the tank before the boys get home this afternoon!!

Seriously though - it struck me that my sons were exercising a lot of faith in bringing their 'fish prayers' before God. They truly believed that God would protect them. Sadly, I was not as 'faith-filled' as they were, but that may have had to do with my ability to keep an aquarium. I am grateful that God honoured their simple prayers, because I didn't feel up to explaining to them why God doesn't always answer our prayers.

God hears our prayers - all of them!
Be blessed by His GRACE,
D3LM3

No comments: