Tuesday 25 August 2009

Praying in Trouble


Philip Yancey speaks about how many of our prayers tend to drift towards two areas - trouble that we are going through OR trivial things. Jesus invites us to cast all our cares and burdens onto him (Matthew 11:28), so we should never feel guilty about allowing our 'troubles' to drive us to our knees.

To be honest, my prayer today has simply been echoing the words from the David in Psalm 4:1 - this is all the energy I can muster. The kids are ill and we are exhausted.

"Answer me when I call you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer."

God knows what we are facing, but somehow our spirits are revived when we invite Jesus to share our burdens. Our situations may not change overnight, but we are reassured that God is in our midst.

"Jesus believed that prayer could really change things." - Philip Yancey

So do I. How about you?

Carried by Grace,
D3LM3

No comments: