Thursday 8 October 2009

How long must we sing this song?


"I cant believe the news today
Oh, I cant close my eyes and make it go away
How long...
How long must we sing this song?
How long? how long..."


These are the opening lyrics to the famous U2 song, Sunday Bloody Sunday. For a full explanation of why they wrote the song, you will need to go to their website, but it is worth pointing out that U2 were not the first group of people to sing these same words. About 3000 years ago the Psalmist's were singing the same lyrics - at the time they were feeling lost and abandoned by God.

"How long, O LORD ? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and every day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?"
- Psalm 13:1-2

Psalm 35 & 79 also include similar lyrics.

If you are feeling that God is taking a long time to answer your cries, may the Holy Spirit grant you the strength to persevere until you hear from God again.

Holding onto Grace,
D3LM3

No comments: