Tuesday 19 January 2010

Haiti


Seven days ago Haiti was rocked by an enormous earthquake (which you all know already) and I have not written anything on it as yet. Why, you may ask?
Is it because I don't care? Well, of course not!

To be honest, I just don't know what to say or write.

I mean, what is there to say that can make it any better for the people of Haiti? Will my words bring 200 000 people back to life?
How can I try to rationalise why this happens?

I will not point out that this is some way of God getting even with people - I will not speak on God's behalf, when it comes to things like this. Sure it may be Apocalyptic, but there were many godly people in the midst of the dead - did God just allow them to die, so we can all get a message?
Not the God I want to believe in!

Look, I understand that we frustrate God at times. I get it, that I sin and mess up daily. But I also understand that God wants to be in relationship with us - that's why Jesus came to earth isn't it?

To lead me back to God.
To pay for my sins on the cross.
To offer me forgiveness.

So, why the earthquake struck Haiti and not South Africa, I don't know. What I do know is this...

Romans 8:18 - I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

2 Corinthians 1:5 - For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

In the meantime, let's all pray for the people of Haiti. They need our love and prayers. Let's leave the "why did this happen" for another day!

Living in Grace,
D3LM3

2 comments:

Rambler said...

Great post - and really sorry to hear about Bruce. Strength brother.

Re: Haiti. I always find that it's foolish to ask questions that have no answer, so best to leave it for another day.

We live in a world where plates move and catastrophes happen when they do. That's its design. People have been crying apocalypse and punishment for centuries. It's time to just realise it happens and how do we be the present god in those moments.

I dunno... it's all weird. I just read another blog where the writer says this proves to her there is no "higher power". I get confused...

Delme Linscott said...

Hey Clive
Thanks for the thoughts.
I often feel that this stuff is way beyond my understanding. I don't want to cop out and have 'no opinion', but I am afraid that I have no real answers to earthquakes etc.
Keep blogging my friend,
Delme