Tuesday 1 June 2010

In God's hands


I have heard and used this phrase a few times in the last 2 days - "In God's hands!" But, what I am wrestling with is this:

"Is this phrase In God's Hands an act of faith or an act of complete helplessness?"

If I have a decision to make and I conclude, "Well, it's in God's hands!" What am I really saying? Am I relying on God to make the decision for me or am I agreeing to make my decision based on His relationship with me and if I am wrong, then God will nudge me back on track?

Perhaps what it does mean, is that regardless of what happens around us, we are always in God's Hands (when we have surrendered our lives to Him). This I can live with - it makes me feel a little more at peace.

Ecclesiastes 9:1 - "So I reflected on all this and concluded that the righteous and the wise and what they do are in God's hands..."

I want my prayer "It's in your hands Lord" to be one of Faith, not one of helplessness. What about you?

Living in Grace,
D3LM3

1 comment:

David Barbour said...

Hi,

Yes, it could be a means to abandon all responsibility which I don't think is the answer. The Ecc. reference suggests that it rains on all people, the goodies and the badies. The question then - what good is it to be a goodie? The answer I suppose is that we are not a goodie so that we can be in the palm of God's hand. We are badies turned goodies who know what it is like to be held in God's hands. The end result, we are goodie badies who hold other badies in our hands so they also become goodie badies :)