Monday 25 March 2013

A person of Refuge - Lent 31

 
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

I have to disagree with Mr Schweitzer on this point (and I hope not to offend you cat-lovers out there!) Both music and cats may offer some temporary distraction from the 'miseries of life', but I would not consider them to be places of refuge. In fact, I believe that true refuge can only be sought in a person - in particular, Jesus.

It is in Jesus that I find shelter, comfort, protection, relief and freedom from my struggles. This is regardless of the 'place' I may find myself. We know that our difficulties may not be removed from us permanently, but we need to be reminded that we can turn to God for true refuge.

David understood this well. Read his words in Psalm 31:

In you, Lord, I have taken refuge;
    let me never be put to shame;
    deliver me in your righteousness.
Turn your ear to me,
    come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge,
    a strong fortress to save me.
Since you are my rock and my fortress,
    for the sake of your name lead and guide me.
Keep me free from the trap that is set for me,
    for you are my refuge.


Just out of interest - David is pointing out that God 'has been' a refuge in the past; He 'will be' a refuge in the future & God is a refuge in the present.

Be blessed by the love of God today.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: