Tuesday 12 March 2013

Why me? - Lent 22

 
Why me?
Why do I always seem to be swimming upstream? 
Why do I get the raw end of the deal?

Have you felt like this recently? Have these questions come from your mouth as you wrestle with issues in your life? Well, if the answer is 'Yes', then today's Psalm is for you. David writes these powerful words (Psalm 22:1-2):

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
    Why are you so far from saving me,
    so far from my cries of anguish?
My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
    by night, but I find no rest." 

We may recognise these words as the same cry that Jesus prays from Calvary. Some people believe that this was Jesus' way of reminding people that he was the Messiah - Psalm 22 is known as a Messianic Psalm and so by quoting the opening lines people would 'join the spiritual dots' and acknowledge him as Saviour. 

Other Christians are also content with the explanation of Jesus' sense of abandonment, when he dies on the cross, and so these words relate to this moment. 

Ultimately we rest with the fact that Jesus understands our every cry and need. You are not alone today - God is with you.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: