Thursday 5 September 2013

Drinking, Eating, Talking

It's funny how certain things stick in your mind from school days. I remember reading John Steinbeck's classic, "Of Mice and Men", as if it were yesterday. I don't remember all of what we discussed in class, but certainly any time I heard his name, I think of that book. 

So, it was with wonderful memories that I reflect on another piece of writing by Steinbeck. This time it is the following quote:

"Of all the animals in God's creation, man is the only one who drinks without being thirsty, eats without being hungry and talks without having something to say."

How true is this sentiment? 
As a human race we are greedy and selfish - even as I read his thoughts I have to confess that I am guilty on all three points:
  • yes, I have eaten just for the sake of eating (chocolate is great comfort food) 
  • yes, I have had extra glass of coke, just because it was there
  • yes, I have tried to hold conversations with people, just because I couldn't bear the silence
I am deeply challenged by this quote on many levels. Certainly, as a Christian I could "do better" in every one of these departments. In the next few days, I will seek to:

- eat and drink appropiately
- speak when necessary

How about you?

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: