Tuesday 19 November 2013

A mere hand breadth

The reading at our men's group (at McCafe) this morning was from Psalm 39. There are a number of challenging verses in this Psalm, but the two that stood out for me were verse 4 -5:

"Show me, O Lord, my life's end and the number of my days;
let me know how fleeting is my life.
You have made my days a mere hand breadth;
the span of my years
is nothing before you.
Each man's life is but a breath." - Psalm 39:4-5

If you have a moment, take a look at the palm of your hand. Trace a line from one side to the other - It is not too wide, is it? The Psalmist suggests that our lives are but a mere hand breadth - here one day and then gone the next. It is a sobering thought.

Now, do the same thing again - trace a line across your palm. Where would you estimate your life to be along that line? Is it close to the end of your hand? I find that simply doing this exercise helps me to comprehend how brief my life will be and that I need to make the most of life God has given me.

May your 'handbreath' be a blessing to God and others.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: