Tuesday 3 December 2013

I am Gabriel

There are a number of people who have written autobiographies starting with the words "I am...."
Take for example Zlatan Ibrahimović - his is entitled, "I am Zlatan" and is appropriate for a professional footballer who has a giant ego!

Another one is Malala Yousafzai - her autobiography seems more "humble" than others, but her story is still remarkable. She is the Pakistani teenager who was shot in the head by the Taliban, when she was just 15 years old. She is an activist for education and women's rights in her country. In my opinion, anyone who is willing to stand up for her principles, like Malala did, deserves recognition.

In the build up to the birth of Jesus there is someone else who uses the phrase "I am..." - it is the angel Gabriel.

“I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news." - Luke 1:19

His statement is one of introduction, but equally one of authority. Gabriel was revered by the Israelites and so to stand before Zechariah and declare, "I am Gabriel" - wow, that must have been immense! No wonder Zechariah couldn't speak for months!

God brings us this same Good News this festive season - we may not be confronted by an Angel, but we can come face to face with the Christ child. It is my prayer that we would come to know God's good news in a fresh way this year. Perhaps we will even hear the voice of the Messiah, as he whispers...

... I AM Jesus!

God bless you
D3LM3


No comments: