Sunday 23 March 2014

How to pray...

Often when we pray for things we need, we are caught in a dilemma. We may feel a little awkward asking for these things and wonder if God is willing to respond to these prayers. On the other hand, we know that God has invited us to bring our requests to him. So, this is why I like Thomas a Kempis' comments on this topic.

"My child, this is the way to pray:
'Lord, if it is pleasing to you, fulfill my request. 
If this will honour you, let it be done in your name.
If it is good for me, grant that I may use it for your honour.
But, if you know that it will hurt me, take the desire away from me.'"

This is a balance prayer. It is prayed with faith, but also with the humility to recognise that what I want, may not be what God wants.

What do you think?
Compare this prayer with Jesus words in Matthew 21:22: - 
 
"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”


And Paul's words in  Ephesians 6:18: - 
 
"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people."
Living in Grace
D3LM3


No comments: