Wednesday 5 March 2014

It's all about Preparation

We use the phrase "It's all about preparation" in the context of sport or business, but I believe that it's equally compelling to use it in this season of Lent. Today marks Ash Wednesday, which is the starting point in our journey towards Easter. Like I have mentioned before, we are not required by God to observe Lent, and no one is going to rate you a second class Christian if you choose to ignore this season, but let me share why it has become a meaningful time for me (and many others).

I find that life is so rushed at the moment and my spiritual life feels the squeeze of thousands of other demands. Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday are watershed moments in our Faith and I feel it is a shame to allow them to creep up on me without any warning. In truth, I could easily allow the rush of life to accelerate me into the Easter Weekend, without pausing long enough to reflect on the cross and the empty tomb.

But, if this happens then I feel like something is missing. My spirit needs time to wrestle deeply with the suffering of Jesus, the stories of 'Holy Week', the mystery of the Resurrection and the miracle of grace. So, this is why I value "preparing for Easter" (Lent) and reflecting on the Good News of the Cross/Resurrection in bite sizes - over 40 days or so. Lent becomes a discipline for me - a helpful spiritual practise choosing to push pause on a few of my other demands and distractions.

I don't observe lent to be seen as a Saint, I observe lent to be more in tune with my Saviour. But it is most effective for me, when I spend the time preparing!

Joshua 7:13 - ‘Go, consecrate the people. Tell them, “Consecrate yourselves in preparation for tomorrow; for this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: there are devoted things among you, Israel. 

Let me know your thoughts?

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: