Thursday 27 March 2014

The power of Influence



"Blessed is the influence of one true, loving human soul on another." - George Eliot

Is there someone who has influenced your life? It could be from a spiritual perspective, or someone who has influenced your career, sport or even your hobby? Influence is such a powerful thing and we should never underestimate it.

Reflecting on Thomas a Kempis' "The Imitation of Christ" I can see how he influenced John Wesley in many ways. One of the things which Wesley introduced was an Annual Covenant service, where Christians we encouraged to renew their commitment to Jesus. The words of the Covenant prayer are profound and challenging, but I ask you to read these words from Thomas a Kempis and spot the similarity with the Covenant prayer.

"Do with me whatever you choose, because it can only be good. If you want me to be in darkness, I will bless you; if you want me to be in light, I will bless you again. If I am comforted, I will be grateful; and If I am afflicated, I will be equally grateful...
... for you sake, I will gladly bear what I must, wherever it may be. I will accept good and evil, sweet and bitter, joy and sorrow, and for all of it I will give you thanks."

So, as you go about your tasks today, stop and think what influence you may have on someone else. We just never know what we may pass on to someone else.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: