Thursday 28 August 2014

A Prayer to begin the day

How do you begin your day? Do you find the demands of the day rushing into your mind as your feet hit the floor? Do you have 5 thousand things on your "to do" list before you even get to take your first sip of coffee? If this sounds a little like you, then can I suggest you pause for a second - turn
your phone on silent - look away from your diary and pray this prayer...

"O Lord, I place myself in your hands and dedicate myself to you. 
I pledge myself to do your will in all things: 
To love the Lord God with all my heart, all my soul, all my strength. .... 
 To desire eternal life with spiritual longing. 
To keep death before my eyes daily. 
To keep constant watch over my actions. 
To remember that God sees me everywhere. 
To call upon Christ for defense against evil thoughts that arises in my heart.
 To guard my tongue against wicked speech. To avoid much speaking. To avoid idle talk. 
To read only what is good to read. To look at only what is good to see. 
To pray often. 
To ask forgiveness daily for my sins, and to seek ways to amend my life. 
To obey my superiors in all things rightful. 
Not to desire to be thought holy, but to seek holiness. 
To fulfill the commandments of God by good works. 
To love chastity. To hate no one. 
Not to be jealous or envious of anyone. Not to love strife. 
Not to love pride. To honor the aged. 
To pray for my enemies. To make peace after a quarrel, before the setting of the sun. 
Never to despair of your mercy, O God of Mercy. 
Amen." - Benedict of Nursia (480-547)

If you find this helpful please forward the pray onto someone else. God bless you.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: