Tuesday 12 August 2014

Robin Williams

We woke up this morning to the devastating news that Robin Williams had taken his own life. I can't believe it! The man who made me laugh in Good Morning Vietnam and Mrs Doubtfire, who made me rethink my life in Good Will Hunting and The Fisher King, and of course who shaped my teen years with echoes of "Captain, O my Captain" in Dead Poets Society. I still can't believe the news.

Perhaps it is not my place to offer any thoughts on Robin's life, but I would like to encourage anyone of us who is struggling with depression. Reports suggest that Robin battled with depression, which strikes me as ironic - he always made others laugh, yet he was masking a severe struggle in his own heart.

Friends, Depression is not something that we can just "snap"out of, or even simply psych ourselves up to "get over it!" If you are struggling with depression please seek some help - don't be embarrassed to admit that you are needing some extra help. As we have seen from Robin William's death, depression can impact anyone - money and fame can't buy all things. If you know someone battling through depression, pray for them and love them through this difficult time. Depression can be managed and even beaten, but it is dangerous to ignore it.

Nehemiah 2:2 - "so he asked me, “Why the long face? You’re not sick are you? Or are you depressed?”

Romans 12:7-8 (MSG) - "...if you’re called to give aid to people in distress, keep your eyes open and be quick to respond; if you work with the disadvantaged, don’t let yourself get irritated with them or depressed by them. Keep a smile on your face."

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: