Thursday 27 November 2014

Shatter my ideas, O God


I have become too comfortable with my ideas about God. When I fall into the comfort zone of faith and practise, I am on dangerous ground. If I assume that God will "do this" or "do that" according to my design and my ideas then I am making God into my subject, when all along, it is I, who need to be God's child and servant.

Advent is the season of preparing for the coming of the Messiah. It is not just about feeling good or singing nice songs - it is about wrestling with our understanding of Christ and asking the Spirit of God to change our false notions of his Greatness.

The following quote from C.S. Lewis is deeply profound, challenging and inspiring.


My idea of God is not a divine idea. It has to be shattered time after time. He shatters it Himself. He is the great iconoclast. Could we not almost say that this shattering is one of the marks of His presence? The Incarnation is the supreme example; it leaves all previous ideas of the Messiah in ruins. And most are "offended" by the iconoclasm; and blessed are those who are not. But the same thing happens in our private prayers.
~ C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed

 May Advent be a wonderful season of reflection and "uncomfortableness."

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: