Tuesday 4 November 2014

Wow, you shop here!?

I was taken aback yesterday when, while shopping at Pick 'n Pay, I bumped into someone from another Church community. As Pietermaritzburg is a small city, we have known each other for a few years, despite worshipping at different churches. It was his comment that caught me by surprise. He said: "It is so good to see you shopping in the community that you work in!"

I thought to myself, "Huh? What do you mean? I always shop here!"

But, then he followed up with another comment: "It makes you more in touch with your people - they see you are human. You don't often see pastors doing that!"

And then he carried on with his shopping, while I was left scratching my head.

These are a few of my quick observations on his remarks:

1. It is right to 'shop' in the community in which you work. I have many 'ministry' moments in the shopping aisles and yes I believe it makes you more 'human.'

2. God wants all believers to be present in the world, not hiding in the church.

3. It does make it tricky as to what I put into my shopping trolley - someone may just be watching me:)

4. I am blessed to have many colleagues (in different churches too) who are 'human' and 'vulnerable' before their congregations. Most pastors know their 'frailties' only too well.

5. Some people won't make an appointment to come and see you at the office, but they are willing to pour out their hearts in the dairy/bakery/perishable sections of the shopping centre.

6. I need to spend more time walking up and down the aisles of shopping centres - I may just be surprised who I meet.

7. Church happens anywhere you want it to happen!

Remember, Jesus said to us: "GO into all the world and make disciples of all nations..."

See you at the shops!!!

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: