Monday 23 February 2015

Keeping an eye on things - Lent #4

To 'keep an eye' on something means to pay attention to it or to never let it out of your sight. If you say to someone, "Please keep and eye out for the time", we are asking them to help us be conscious of the time - this gives us the excuse to keep checking our watches.

In Proverbs 3, Solomon urges us to keep an eye out for wisdom. He says,

"My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight,
    preserve sound judgement and discretion;
22 they will be life for you,
    an ornament to grace your neck.
23 Then you will go on your way in safety,
    and your foot will not stumble.
24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid;
    when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
25 Have no fear of sudden disaster
    or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked,
26 for the Lord will be at your side
    and will keep your foot from being snared."


He rightly believes that when we keep our eyes on wisdom (the ways of the Lord) then our lives will be better off. We can rest secure knowing that the Lord is by our side and that WE ARE NEVER OUT OF GOD'S SIGHT!

We admire Job for his resilience, but even he had moments of struggle - moments were he lost sight of God's hand on his life. When he was consumed by his grief, he lamented...


24"For sighing has become my daily food;
    my groans pour out like water.
25 What I feared has come upon me;
    what I dreaded has happened to me.
26 I have no peace, no quietness;
    I have no rest, but only turmoil.’ - Job 3


As you face the trials and obstacles of another week, may you be reminded that God is in control and that He has not let you out of His sight.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: