Thursday 19 February 2015

Lent #1 - Proverbs

It is important to remember that when we read the Bible that it was written in a particular context. When Solomon wrote his Proverbs he knew nothing of what the world would look like in 2015, and neither could he have understood the complexities of modern politics, economics, spirituality and education.

However, what Solomon knew plenty about was 'humanity!' He knew the frailty of his own life, as well as the sinfulness of his people. In truth, people have not really changed much. We are still filled with love, greed, pride, compassion, anger, selfishness, care, anxiety, stress, ambition and so many other emotions and character traits.

So, when he writes Proverbs , he reflects on how it would be good for us to listen to Godly advice and to gain wisdom for living holy lives. Yet, people still chose to go their own way and to turn their backs on God. To these people he wrote:

"They rejected my advice
    and paid no attention when I corrected them.

Therefore, they must eat the bitter fruit of living their own way,
    choking on their own schemes. 

 For simpletons turn away from me—to death.
    Fools are destroyed by their own complacency. 

 But all who listen to me will live in peace,
    untroubled by fear of harm.” - Proverbs 1:30-33


As I journey through LENT this year I hope to reflect on some of the wise words of Solomon and to ask myself what challenges he gives to me. I learnt from this first proverb that:

1. It is good to listen to godly advice.
2. Those who choose their own schemes will choke on the "bitter fruit" of those lies.
3. Complacency can be destructive.
4. If we listen to God we will find peace.

Be blessed today.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: