Tuesday 10 March 2015

I know the feeling - Lent #12

Sometimes friends try to console us by offering us these words of comfort, "I know how you feel?" or even "I know the feeling!" In some cases they may really "know the feelings" that we are experiencing, but more often than not, they don't. Job's friends certainly weren't able to tell him that they understood what he was going through, because they had never experienced the kind of pain and loss that he had.

If one reads the comments of Eliphaz in Job 15, one can't but think, "thank goodness this guy isn't my friend!" His words don't offer much solace and they certainly don't even attempt to convey "I know how you feel!"

"You own mouth condemns you, not mine;
you own lips testify against you." (v.6)

"Do you listen in on God's council.
Do you limit wisdom to yourself." (v.8)

I am convinced that we don't always need someone to tell us that they know how we feel, but rather that we need people who are willing just to walk along side us and to listen to our troubles.

Action: Pray for someone who is going through a tough time today. Offer them the solace of Christ and the encouragement of the scriptures. Send them an encouraging verse right now and then say a prayer for them, as you send it.

Roger Ebert - "I believe that Empathy is the most essential quality of civilisation."

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: