Sunday 1 March 2015

Your Heart must be a Tablet - Lent #8



Your heart must be a Tablet!
No, I am not suggesting that it be an Ipad or Samsung Tablet, but rather a place where important information can be stored. This is what Solomon was suggesting to the young man in Proverbs 7:

"My son, keep my words
and store up my commands within you.
Keep my commands and you will live;
    guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.
Bind them on your fingers;
    write them on the tablet of your heart." - Proverbs 7:1-3

You see, he knew that the young man was about to be tempted in a big way and so he wanted him to "bury" the word of God deep in his heart. Solomon was urging this young man not to fall into temptation, but rather to hold onto the 'ways of God. He speaks about the teachings of God as the most precious thing of all - the apple of your eye.

In my experience, it is too late to write the words of Jesus on my heart, when I am in the middle of a battle with Temptation - the words need to be there already. The pull of any temptation can sway a virtous person from their stride, but if we seen to bind the word of God to our heart, we can fight off this temptation.

Don't try and fight your battles alone. God is on your side. Read his word and allow his teachings and grace to strengthen you daily.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: