Friday 5 June 2015

Why I still pray for Jacob Zuma

In our Sunday services we often pray for our State President and for leaders around the world. Sometimes it is really hard to do this when I see some of their political decisions and their lack of responsibility and governance. I wish that they would take ownership of their mistakes, but that doesn't seem to be the way politicians work. However, I still believe in the power of prayer and I recognise that every leader is just a human being.

President Zuma needs our prayers, regardless of whether I think he is a good leader or not. One of the reasons why I believe the Church should hold Jacob Zuma accountable is precisely because we pray for him. He has asked a number of times for the Church to pray for him, which many denominations have willingly done. But I strongly believe that with pray comes accountability. If I am praying for you and you are still living a life that is off the rails, then I need to hold you accountable. I would expect the same of you, if I had asked you to pray for me.

I am reminded of the story in John 8 this morning, where the woman was caught in adultery. It was only Jesus who showed her grace, yet he never condone her actions. He told her to "go and leave her life of sin."

I believe Christians in South Africa need to try and find a careful balance between offering grace (perhaps through prayer) to our leaders, BUT ALSO holding them all accountable for their actions. I fully support the Catholic Churches response to the Nkandla issue and I would expect my own denomination to come out with some strong statement soon. Injustice is NEVER RIGHT in the eyes of God. The political spin doctors can try and create wonderful reasons as to why Zuma needs a homestead worth 250 Million, but it will never be JUST in a country like South Africa.

Deuteronomy 16:20 - "Follow justice and justice alone, so that you may live and possess the land the Lord your God is giving you."

Psalm 11:7 - "For the Lord is righteous, he loves justice; the upright will see his face."

So, in the meantime, I ask you to continue to pray for our beloved country, for her people and especially for her leaders. May God intervene and change the hearts of even the hardest of our leaders.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: