Tuesday 9 February 2016

Ash Wednesday - Do I need to celebrate it?

If you are looking for a simple answer to the question, well then the answer is NO! Christians don't have to celebrate Ash Wednesday at all - there is no legal requirement to remember the occasion and God won't give us extra "brownie" points if we do. However, let me tell you why I, and millions of other Christians, find it so meaningful to pause for reflection on Ash Wednesday.

1. It reminds me that I am not immortal and that my life is in God's hand.
2. It teaches me that Christ suffered for my sins and that I am grateful for his grace.
3. Through Jesus' act of love, I am invited to make a response to his mercy.
4. In a busy world of meetings, schedules, commitments and other distractions, I need a moment to prepare myself for the power of the Cross and the Empty tomb.
5. Jesus chose to "give up"/fast in order to hear the voice of his father more clearly - I can do the same, if I choose too.
6. If I fast from something (or take up something) - the reminder of these things, brings my attention back to God. It teaches me to remember God is with me always.
7. By celebrating Ash Wednesday with others, we remember that we are part of a broken world and that we can make a difference if we choose to live the Jesus way.

If you would like to read more, then here is just one article that may help (Interesting article here)

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: