Friday 25 November 2016

Doesn't Black Friday miss the point?

Doesn't Black Friday miss the whole point of "Thanksgiving"? When people gather with their families on Thanksgiving Thursday, it should be about celebrating LIFE, family, friends, togetherness and just simply being thankful for all that we already have in our lives. There is usually a sense of deep contentment or blessing on this particular occasion. But, clearly it seems that underneath the surface this is NOT the case!

The fact, that we are rushing around 24 hours, trying to get the best bargain on toilet-paper and TV's, implies something about our lack of Contentment. Now, don't get me wrong, I am part-Scottish and so I love a bargain more than most people, but I feel there is something amiss.

Reflecting on this today, I am left with a few questions and I am always open for your wisdom and insight into this event called Black Friday. My musings are as follows:

1. It shows how discontented many of us are probably feeling.
2. It points to a desperation among the poorest of the poor - who rely on these bargains to survive.
3. It tells us the shop owners and stores are already making loads of cash on their goods, so discounting them is not a problem. Is that Just?
4. It is a brilliant strategy to draw people into the shops to buy things they made not really need.
5. People fight each other for the limited bargains - where is the humanity in that?
6. Does Black Friday now mark the beginning of the Christmas spending spree - stretching people's already tight budgets?
7. It makes people live more off their credit cards as they believe these bargains will never be repeated.

I just don't know - please let me know your thoughts. And if you are one of those bargain hunters, let me know what you managed to get and why you think Black Friday is a good idea - I am open to all suggestions.
 
2 Corinthians 4:15 - All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.

Living in Grace
D3LM3


No comments: