Friday 20 January 2017

Promises, Promises

We live in a world where it is very quick to make promises, but much harder to honour them. No longer is a person's word their bond (promise). One of the disciples, Peter, was very quick to make a promise to Jesus, but no matter how well meaning he was try to be, he couldn't keep his word.
 
33 Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”
34 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”
35 But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same (Matthew 26).

The challenge for us is try and keep our promises in the small things, before we start promising the big things. A whole of lot of small faithful actions will all add up to a BIG commitment in the end. Following Jesus is a lot like this. Don't make the big "I will follow you Jesus" promise, if you aren't committed to honour that on a daily basis.

Next time we catch ourselves saying "I promise you", let us be reminded of what we are actually committing too. 

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: