Friday 4 August 2017

Product of your circumstances!?

Are you a product of your circumstances? Putting this in another way - have the circumstances you have encountered in life made you into the person you are today?

Stephen Covey argues that we are NOT a product of our circumstances. He says:
"I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions."

While I agree that situations impact upon our lives, in a greater or lesser degree, I still think that we are able to use these circumstances 'for good or bad.' For this reason, I like what Paul said in Philippians 4:10-14.

"I’ve learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I’m just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am."

This is such an important lesson to try and learn. I am not there yet, but I strive to allow Christ to shape my life and not all the circumstances around me.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: